Homework is an essential part of the instructional program at Garvy Elementary School. In accordance with the Chicago Public Schools, the following homework policy has been developed by a committee of teachers at Garvy as a part of our local Continuous Improvement Work Plan (CIWP).
Objectives of Homework Assignments:
· To reinforce and extend learning in class
· To promote good study habits
· To develop individual responsibility and organizational skills
· To encourage the use of community resources
· To provide practice in fundamental skills
· To increase parental awareness of the school program
· Students are responsible for completing and handing in all assignments on time.
· Students will record all assignments in their assignment notebook (grades 1-8).
· Students will assume responsibility for bringing home all necessary materials to complete assignments.
· Students are expected to produce quality work reflecting their personal best on all assignments.
· Students are responsible for speaking to the teacher and or parent if there is a consistent homework completion problem.
· Students are responsible for any work missed due to absences from class and will obtain missed assignments from classroom log of homework assignments or the teacher.
HOMEWORK DURING ABSENCES
Students are responsible for completing work after an excused absence (illness, death in the family, family emergency, or observance of a religious holiday, circumstances that cause reasonable concern to the parent/legal guardian for the safety or health of a student, other situations beyond the control of the student as determined by the principal or principal’s designee, on a case-by-case basis including, but not limited to, homelessness and its attendance difficulties). Students will have the equivalent number of days absent to complete all missing work. For example, a student who is sick for three days will have three days to complete all missed work. Parents may request that homework be ready for pick-up after the second day of absence. The request should be made to the school office at (773) 534-1185 by 12:00 P.M. daily.
AMOUNT OF TIME SPENT ON HOMEWORK
The specific amount of assigned homework is based on the ability and grade level of each student. In addition to daily assignments, students may be involved in long term assignments, projects, and research from time to time. Homework length and content may be modified for students receiving special services with an Individual Education Program (IEP) plan on file.